Camping is one of the most popular outdoor activities in the United States. Whether you backpack, camp in a tent or RV, or stay at a campground, there are many great camping sites in Virginia to choose from.
Camping near Charlottesville
If you’re looking for a camping site in the Charlottesville area, there are plenty of options to choose from. Some of the best spots include:
1. Shenandoah National Park – This is a great option if you’re looking for a more remote camping experience. You can find sites close to the Blue Ridge Parkway or in the Valley of the Ten Thousand Smokes.
2. Cascades Campground – This campground is perfect if you’re looking for a family-friendly camping experience. There are plenty of activities available, like swimming and fishing, and the campground is right next to Lake Monticello.
3. The Inn at Montpelier – This is one of the most popular campgrounds in Charlottesville and for good reason. It has a great location, with beautiful views of Monticello and Lake Monticello. You can also find plenty of amenities here, like a pool and hot tub.
The best camping sites in Virginia
There are many great camping sites in Virginia, but here are five of the best:
1. Jordan’s Point State Park in Chesapeake is a great place to camp if you want to enjoy nature and relax. The park has a variety of campsites with views of the water, and there is also a swimming pool for visitors to use.
2. Blue Ridge Parkway is home to many great camping sites, including the Skyline Drive Overlook where you can see for miles in every direction. There are also several restaurants and shopping areas close by for visitors to use.
3. Shenandoah National Park offers visitors plenty of opportunities to camp, including sites near the river and at high elevations. There are also several hiking trails available in the park, making it a great place to spend a weekend outdoors.
4. Rappahannock National Park is another great place to camp if you want to enjoy nature without having to stay inside a building all the time. There are several campsites available along the banks of the Rappahannock River, and visitors can also hike or bike trails through the park.
Camping near Lynchburg
Looking for a camping site in Virginia? You’ll find plenty of options near Lynchburg. Here are five great options:
1. The Rhododendron State Park is located just minutes from downtown Lynchburg. This park has a wide range of recreational opportunities, including camping, fishing, hiking, and biking.
2. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a National Park Service site that offers many scenic campsites. Sites can be reserved online or through the park’s visitor center.
3. The New River Gorge National River offers camping sites along its banks, including one just outside of Buena Vista National Park. There are also a number of picnic areas and other attractions nearby.
4. The Shenandoah National Park has dozens of campgrounds scattered throughout the park, including the popular Skyland Trail Campground. This campground features a pool and playground, making it perfect for families.
5. Finally, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers several campgrounds close to Gatlinburg and Cherokee Village. These campgrounds have amenities such as showers and kitchens, making them perfect for extended stays.
Camping near Danville
There are many great camping sites in the area around Danville. Whether you’re looking for a primitive campsite, a scenic spot with great views, or a place to stay while exploring the area, there’s an option for you. Here are five of our favorites:
1. Jamestown – This campground is located on the banks of the James River and has plenty of amenities for campers including showers, toilets, and a boat ramp. There are also several trails nearby that can be explored on foot or by bike.
2. Millwood – This campground is located near Shockoe Bottom and features beautiful wooded areas as well as a riverfront swimming area. There are also several restaurants and shopping options in the surrounding area.
3. Loyd Lake – This beautiful campsite is located in Pittsylvania County and offers peaceful surroundings as well as access to hunting and fishing opportunities. The lake is also home to several birdwatching spots.
4. Goose Creek – This campground is situated on the banks of Goose Creek and features a variety of activities like fishing, hiking, biking, and swimming. There are also several picnic areas and grills available for use.
Camping near Roanoke
There are many great camping sites in Virginia, including the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park. Both of these parks have rolling hills and dense forests, making them perfect for camping. You can also find great camping spots near Roanoke, such as Meadow Lake State Park. This park has an abundance of trees and water features, making it a great place to camp.
Camping near Harrisonburg
Camping is a great way to spend a weekend or a week in the outdoors. There are many camping sites near Harrisonburg, VA, where you can enjoy the natural beauty and peace of the countryside. Here are some of the best camping sites near Harrisonburg.
The first camping site is the Forest Park Campground in Harrisonburg. This campground offers more than 20 RV and tent campsites, as well as a playground and several picnic areas. The Forest Park Campground is close to downtown Harrisonburg, making it an ideal place to stay if you want to explore the city while you’re on vacation.
If you’re looking for a more rural camping experience, try the Shenandoah National Park Campgrounds. These campgrounds are located just outside of Harrisonburg in northern Virginia. The campsites here offer plenty of space for tents and RVs, as well as hiking trails and fishing opportunities.
Finally, if you’re looking for a place to camp that’s close to Charlottesville, try the Clifton Forge Recreation Area. This recreation area features over 50 campsites, including some that are designed for RVs and tents. The Clifton Forge Recreation Area is also home to a swimming pool, a play area, and a gym.